Image Map

Monday 21 April 2014

#BLOGGERSDOITBETTER: MAC Dupes

Bargain:
noun
Something bought or offered for sale cheaper than usual or expected.
Creating a look for less 
 Or... my first thought: dupes.
Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm vs. MAC Matte Lipstick
Revlon (left) vs. MAC (right)
One of my favorite drug store products are the Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balms, they're pigmented, they last a long time, and they're crayons! I'm a big fan of crayon style lipsticks or balms because they're not only cute but easy to work with. My sister introduced me to the Matte Balm line when she bought me "Shameless" for my birthday around Christmas time last year and when I went in to swatch the rest of the line I couldn't help but recognize a lot of similarities between them and some iconic MAC matte colors.  I chose five of what I believe to be the closest color dupes.


Starting from the left:
Revlon Standout vs. MAC Viva Glam I
Standout tends to be a bit brighter on first swatch but you can build the color up to be almost a dead ringer for Viva Glam I, which has been sold by MAC since 1994(!)  A deep dark red which is classically beautiful, especially when paired  with a bold winged liner.
Revlon Sultry vs. MAC Craving and Twig
This is the shade that inspired this post. I picked it up from a local Shopper's and when I got home I noticed it was similar to my MAC Twig lipstick (far right), but I also thought it seemed similar to Craving (swatched directly to the right of Sultry and on my wish list.) Craving, even though it is an Amplified finish, is a much closer match because they are both more rosier- pink whereas Twig, a satin finish, is much more of a muted brown pink.
Striking vs. Lady Danger
I'm loving this red- orange shades especially for summer.  I find Lady Danger to be a bit bolder and orange-r on first swipe but once again Striking is easily built up for a bolder color.


(Striking/ Lady Danger repeated)
Shameless vs. Heroine
I've seen these two compared before and although they are similar were the biggest stretch for a match in my opinion.  Shameless is a tad darker and it is the only one who's texture is a bit chalky and uneven. 
Showy vs. Candy Yum Yum 
Finally, this is the match I was most excited about.  The colors truly are an exact match.  Showy is everything cult followed Candy Yum Yum is famous for a bright, neon, matte, blue- based pink.  It just may be my next purchase as I have been dabbling with Candy Yum Yum for a long time.  


Direct Comparisons:


Revlon
MAC
Pigmentation
Bold and buildable
Bold
Scent
Peppermint
Vanilla
Longevity
Long wearing
Long wearing
Price
$6.99- $11.99 CDN
$19 CDN


My only dislike of the Revlon Matte Balms is the scent.  It throws me off to have such a bold color smell like a peppermint chapstick.  However, considering the price difference, I think I can get over it or at least work around it.  One final note is when washing the swatches off my arm I couldn't help but be impressed with both brand's staying power.  I took this photo after scrubbing them with a makeup removing wipe!


Don't forget to search #Bloggersdoitbetter on Twitter to find out how other "Bloggers Do Bargains Better"!

xoxo

13 comments:

  1. I like the bottom picture. I recently did a pot on MAC lipsticks and my arm was stained for days even after scrubbing several times haha :)

    Roo xx
    meplusmymakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, their staying/ staining power is amazing.
      Thanks for reading.
      Xo, D.

      Delete
  2. You're a Pro, I'm your biggest fan, seriously.

    If only I hadn't looked like a Nicki Minaj gone wrong when I tried Candy Yum Yum, I would be banging on the drugstore door in the middle of the night to get Revlon Showy RIGHT. NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, it definitely is an obnoxious color. I've been sitting on the fence for such a long time.

      Delete
  3. The last picture showing their staying power is incredible. My biggest problem with lip products is their ability to remain on my lips. I just wrote an article about MAC lipstick dupes (http://glamorousrevelation.blogspot.com/2014/04/deal-or-no-deal-mac-lipsticks.html?m=1) last week for my blog's newest series Makeup Mondays, but most of the alternatives are Wet N Wild. But I do love Revlon's lip crayons! They're my #1 go-to lip product which I ironically just wrote about today (http://glamorousrevelation.blogspot.com/2014/04/diary-of-beautiful-black-woman.html?m=1) for this week's Makeup Mondays post :) Great minds think alike!

    Munachi
    GlamorousRevelation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I have never tried the balm stains but "Honey" is something I am always tempted to pick up. Such a pretty mauve. Thanks for reading!
      Xo, D.

      Delete
    2. They're great! Cherish is my absolute favorite but I like Romantic as well and I really want to try Crush in both balm stain and matte.

      Delete
  4. Hey! I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Get your questions on my blog: http://t.co/YbE1xNve9Q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Melissa! Thank you so much! I'm heading over to read your post now but I actually wrote another Liebster Award last month. Thanks again for the nomination!
      Xo, D.

      Delete
  5. This is great! Especially for those bright colors like candy yum yum that you really want to try but dont want to spend the $16 bucks at Mac to get it. I will definetly be trying some of these out soon!
    XOXO
    www.aprettythought.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly!
      Thanks for reading.
      Xo, D.

      Delete
  6. Showy and Candy Yum Yum are the prettiest shades of the lot!

    I'd personally go for Revlon over MAC any day! ;)

    Amanda @ www.niesciorsnotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, I never knew that showy is a dupe for candy yum yum. I just bought audacious, standout, elusive and showy few days ago during my singapore vacation. I can't wait to wear them all! ;)

    ReplyDelete