Image Map

Thursday 27 March 2014

DIY: Gold Makeup Brush Holders to Brighten Your Space

Let's start off with my love for the color gold. Period. So anything gold catches my eye which is why that pinspiration attracted me to this project in the first place (don't even get me started with rose gold *dies*) I am absolutely loving the results of this DIY project.  Eeep! I was so excited to share.


The Supplies:
♡ Wax paper or newspaper
♡ Gold spray paint (I used Beauti-Tone, pictured below)
♡ Mason Jars

Beauti-Tone Metallic Lacquer (Gold)

The Process:
First things first, wash your glass jars in soap and water and thoroughly dry them.  
I then put down a sheet of wax paper (or newspaper- or any disposable surface to catch paint) *outside* and then set my mason jar *upside down* on it. Using short bursts of paint while holding the can about 6 inches away from my jars I coated them (one by one) in a light layer of paint. I then waited 5ish minutes for them to dry and repeated until the color was opaque. SO EASY.


The Conclusion:
I love this project.  These would look adorable on a white counter top or vanity stuffed full with makeup brushes and lip products, they would look good on the bathroom counter. I plan to keep mine on my bedside table. It's an easy, quick, and affordable way to give your current space a face lift.  I chose to fill the smallest jar with small pearl beads for an extra touch and I also chose to use jars that varied in size shape. 




Note: My naive assumption was that spray paint is spray paint and any kind would work but that is wrong.  I initially bought a cranberry color of acrylic paint (I think) as well which did not stick to the glass or dry at all. It left me with a sticky blotchy mess.  If you're unsure at all make sure to ask a sales person at your hardware store!

If you try this project I'd love to see! Link your results down below!
xoxo

10 comments:

  1. this is great! a simple and cute way to dress up my make up area! thanks for sharing this!

    www.lovedesiree.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fab! I've always wanted to make my own brush holders look pretty. You did a great job :)
    www.beauticianviews.blogspot.co.uk
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was so much fun- I wanted to paint everything gold when I was done :-)

      Delete
  3. Hello Danielle this is MJ from Instagram!

    This turned out really pretty!!! :-D And I love that shade of paint, it almost looks like rose gold!!
    I'm not really into DIY stuff and I prefer to search in stores for the exact thing that I want and wait until I find it, but this looks like something I could try to do too! :-)

    Great job, thanks for sharing!! ^_^
    x
    MJ

    mjintheskywithglitter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do the same- you can find a lot of similar things in Etsy shops! So if you're an avid online shopper you could try that! xx

      Delete
  4. These are really cute! I was going to buy some storage jars but I think I'll try making these :)
    Abbie
    xo

    http://abbeee.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know how they turn out!!
      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  5. Great idea! its always tricky to think of ways to store your makeup brushes :)

    http://thestyleoflondon.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. A large variety of makeup brushes are available in the market. They have become an integral part of every makeup box. May it be party makeup, nude makeup or bridal makeup? Makeup brushes are required at every step in every type. Applying eye shadows and lipstick and so one needs makeup brush container to keep all these brushes at one place.


    ReplyDelete